We asked Key-Whitman Eye Center’s President and Chief Surgeon Jeffrey Whitman, M.D. and Director of Optical Renee Macdonald to share insight on how to choose sunglasses that complement different face shapes and provide optimum protection from the sun.
Tip No. 1: Measure The Height And Width Of Your Face.
Renee has been fitting patients with eyeglasses and sunglasses for almost 44 years. As a professional optician, she begins the process by measuring the length (from the top of the hairline to the bottom of the chin) and width (temple to temple) of the patient’s face.
“High-quality sunglasses come in a variety of sizes. Ordering the right size frames helps ensure a good fit. You don’t want to end up with frames that are too small or too wide for your face. Turn to a professional optician if you want to ensure your sunglasses fit properly and look great,” Renee says.
Tip No. 2: Choose A Brand That Offers Polarized Lenses Or A Minimum Of 400 UV Protection.
Sure, sunglasses are fun and some people even consider them a fashion statement. However, the biggest benefit quality sunglasses provide is protecting our eyes from dangerous UV rays and vision loss.
According to Dr. Whitman, “Over time, UV rays can damage the cornea and retina, which can increase the risk of permanent vision loss and even blindness. Wearing sunglasses with polarized lenses or 400 UV protection can help deter eye diseases and conditions including macular degeneration, cataracts, photo keratitis (sunburn of the eye) and even cancer.”
Tip No. 3: Pick Sunglasses That Suit The Size And Shape Of Your Face.
If you have a petite face, avoid large frames that overwhelm your facial features. On the opposite end of the spectrum, if your face is larger, don’t choose frames that are too small. “Balance is the key when choosing sunglasses,” Renee says.
When it comes to specific face shapes, consider the following guidelines:
- Best Frames for Round Faces. If you have a round face, it’s important to take curvy, fuller cheeks into consideration. Cat-eye shapes and rectangular, Wayfarer styles highlight the contours of round faces well. Men with round faces may also consider square-shaped frames.
- Best Frames for Oval or Oblong Faces. People with oblong or oval faces can wear most eyeglass shapes, even over-sized frames, which can help balance the face nicely. Again, just be sure the frames are properly sized.
- Best Frames for Heart-Shaped Faces. If you have a face that is broader across the top and narrower at the chin, choose a frame that shifts the focus away from the top of the face. Frames with bold edges or that have rounded in edges help provide balance to a heart-shaped face.
- Best Frames for Square Faces: For people with square-shaped faces, it’s important to choose frames with roundness and curves. Some good options include cat eyes, oval shapes, oversized aviators or other metal frames that soften features. Avoid boxy shapes.
Tip No. 4: Choose Sunglass Frame Colors That Complement Your Complexion And Clothing.
Colored, plastic frames are very popular today, but Renee recommends avoiding colors that will clash with your complexion or wardrobe.
As she explains, “For people with fair complexions, I recommend choosing a ‘happy medium’ frame color. Clear, pale or frosted colors can wash out fair skin and super dark colors can look too extreme. On the other hand, dark frames complement olive skin tones very well. Tryon different colored frames before making a decision.”
Renee also encourages people to consider the colors that dominate their wardrobe and pick eyeglass and sunglass frame colors that complement the clothing they wear most.
“Our opticians have several goals in mind when fitting patients for sunglasses and eyeglasses. The Key-Whitman optical team guides patients every step of the way, so the glasses they purchase not only look great, they also fit correctly, provide optimum vision correction and keep eyes safe from the sun’s harmful rays,” Dr. Whitman says.
Looking For Better Vision And MORE Options In Sunglasses? Take $1,500 Off LASIK Eye Surgery And Save $200 On Maui Jim® Sunglasses!
From April 18 through May 31, 2017, LASIK patients can take advantage of:
- $1,500 off LASIK Value Package list price (surgery must take place by end of June).
- $200 voucher to put toward a pair of Maui Jim® sunglasses.
- Two movie passes.
- Financing options! Ask us about $99/month payment plans, interest-free payments for up to 24 months or extended payments for up to 60 months.
For full details, visit our LASIK Special page or call (214) 225-2577 to learn more about LASIK surgery at our state-of the-art Dallas eye surgery center. If you prefer to connect with us online, please fill out the handy online appointment form here.
ABOUT DR. WHITMAN
Jeffrey Whitman, M.D., is a nationally renowned eye surgeon, board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology. President and Chief Surgeon of Key-Whitman Eye Centers in Dallas since 1996, Dr. Whitman is a frequent participant in clinical trials and is known as a respected researcher, innovator and leader in LASIK eye surgery and for his extensive experience implanting high-technology lenses. He is frequently called upon to serve on the boards of local and national medical associations and organizations. Dr. Whitman and his wife reside in Dallas and enjoy fitness, playing tennis and traveling.