Not every type of eye surgery is used to correct vision. Sometimes, cosmetic surgery and treatments are needed to correct conditions affecting the tissue surrounding the eye. BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment is one form of cosmetic treatment offered at Key-Whitman.
What is BOTOX Cosmetic?
BOTOX Cosmetic is a purified protein produced by the Clostridium botulinum bacterium. As a nonsurgical treatment, it is used to temporarily reduce the appearance of frown lines between the brows. It is a physician-administered treatment that is performed on people between the ages of 18 and 65. The treatment consists of a physician injecting very low doses of BOTOX directly into the muscles that are causing the lines and wrinkles.
Who is a candidate?
BOTOX can be used to treat a number of cosmetic conditions, including:
Frown lines and wrinkles:Frown lines between your eyebrows and wrinkles around the eyes (crow’s feet) can leave you looking tired or upset. If you’re looking for a non-surgical solution to smooth frown lines, turn to Key-Whitman for a physician-administered procedure to reduce the appearance of frown lines between your eyebrows. BOTOX is injected into the muscles, weakening them and effectively eliminating lines and wrinkles.
Blepharospasm: The term blepharospasm refers to uncontrolled and abnormal blinking or twitching of the eyelid. It is the result of nerve cells sending signals to the muscles. To treat this condition, BOTOX is injected into the affected muscles in the eye to block the nerve signals and relieve muscle spasms and uncontrolled closing of the eyelid.
Strabismus: BOTOX treatment can also be used for strabismus (cross eyes), a condition in which the eye muscles tighten, pulling the eyeball to one side. BOTOX treatment for strabismus weakens the muscles, reducing spasms and allowing the muscles on the other side of the eye to contract. This reaction allows the eyes to align evenly.
If you suffer from any of these conditions, you may be a candidate for BOTOX treatment. You should not use BOTOX treatment if you:
- have an infection where BOTOX® Cosmetic will be injected
- are allergic to any of the ingredients in BOTOX® Cosmetic
- are pregnant or think you might be pregnant
What results can I expect?
Within a few days of your treatment, you will see a marked improvement in the moderate to severe frown lines between your eyebrows. These lines will continue to improve for up to a month. Results from one treatment can last up to four months before another injection is needed.
In clinical trials, nearly 90% of men and women rated the improvement in their appearance as moderate to better one month after treatment. Results may vary.
FAQs about BOTOX
- How does BOTOX work? BOTOX Cosmetic is injected directly into the muscles between the eyebrows. It works by blocking the transmission of nerve impulses to the injected muscles, reducing the activity of the muscles that cause those persistent lines to form.
- Is BOTOX painful? Discomfort from BOTOX is usually minimal and brief. Prior to injecting, your physician may choose to numb the area with a cold pack or anesthetic cream.
- What are the side effects of BOTOX? Temporary eyelid droop and nausea are the most common side effects following BOTOX treatment, however, infection, localized pain, inflammation, swelling, tenderness, redness, bruising, and/or bleeding can also result from injections. It is also important to note that individuals with certain neuromuscular disorders such as ALS, myasthenia gravis, or Lambert-Eaton syndrome may be at a higher risk for serious side effects.
To get the best results from your BOTOX treatment, choose a doctor who is experienced in administering BOTOX® Cosmetic. Some Key-Whitman surgeons specialize in reconstructive and cosmetic eyelid surgery, including BOTOX Cosmetic treatment.
To schedule a complimentary consultation to learn about how BOTOX® Cosmetic can make a difference for you, contact us or call (214) 225-2577.