Seasonal allergy symptoms are a constant nuisance for many individuals, and with the recent weather in North Texas, many are experiencing them more than usual. Red eyes are one common and irritating symptom of seasonal allergies. Many times, allergies can make the eyes dry, itchy, red or even appear swollen. While there’s little to be done to cure allergies, LASIK vision correction surgery will help alleviate the discomfort you may be feeling from your contacts and symptoms of seasonal allergies.
Allergic symptoms that affect the eye can be significantly more irritating for those who wear contacts. Many times eye drops can be prescribed to relieve red eyes from allergies, contact lenses, coupled with the already dry or itchy eye only enhances the discomfort.
Are you a contact wearer who is suffering from the irritating, uncomfortable and annoying affects of seasonal allergies? Consider LASIK vision correction surgery to eliminate your reliance on contact lenses, and thus reduce the uncomfortable effects of allergies. Key-Whitman doctors use IntraLase for a blade free LASIK eye surgery. During the procedure, a small flap will be created in the cornea, gently lifted and folded back and then the eye is reshaped to correct vision.
If LASIK surgery isn’t an option for you right now, or you aren’t a candidate for other reasons, here are a few tips to help alleviate the irritation of red or swollen eyes from allergies:
- Change your contact lenses regularly.
- Do not share contact lenses or cases with others.
- Do not rub or touch your eyes, even when they itch. Instead get over-the-counter eye drops or prescription drops if necessary to help with burning and itching.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Change your sheets and pillowcases frequently, as allergens will stick to bedding.
- Keep the windows in your home closed to reduce pollen and other allergens in your home.
- Wash your hair regularly if you frequently spend time outside (especially women).
Would you like permanent relief from the additional irritation contacts have on your eyes during allergy season? Contact Key-Whitman for a free consultation to determine if you are a candidate for LASIK vision correction surgery.
When considering your eye care, be sure to stay up to date with the latest news and information about our life-changing services at Key-Whitman Eye Center. Follow us on Facebook and Twitterto stay connected!