TRULIGN™ & Crystalens®
TRULIGN™ and Crystalens® are accomodative lens implants. The
unique Crystalens® design allows you to enjoy a wider, more natural
range of vision for most activities, including: reading a book, working
on the computer, or driving a car. TRULIGN™ allows for the same
and includes toric treatment for astigmatism.
When talking about their vision, most people over the age of 45 "focus"
on the loss of near vision generally associated with presbyopia or "aging
eyes." What they may not realize is that, in addition to developing
cataracts, the inevitable progression of presbyopia weakens the ability
of the lens to focus in the field of vision that begins at our fingertips
- known as intermediate vision. And, until now, this field of vision that
has become the most important for today's active Boomers was severely
As it turns out, we live most of our "visual lives" in the intermediate
range of distance between 26 and 32 inches. In fact, most of our daily
lives are lived in the intermediate, also known as "lifestyle vision."
Activities falling within our "lifestyle vision" include:
- Reading facial expressions during a conversation across a table or desk
- Seeing products and prices while walking down the grocery aisles
- Using a computer keyboard and looking up at the monitor
- Reading the speedometer and other dashboard gauges while driving
- Putting a golf ball on the tee
- Baiting a hook for fishing
- Shaving or putting on make up
- Playing billiards or cards
- Seeing what is on the dinner plate - and the silverware to use to eat it
- Writing a letter or checks to pay bills
- Brushing a child's hair
- Playing the piano
- Measuring ingredients for cooking and baking
- Ironing clothes
- Dialing a cell phone or using a hand-held computer
For those struggling with presbyopia and cataracts, there is a new option
to the traditional, standard IOLs used to replace the eye's natural
lens: the Crystalens®. As the most advanced intraocular lens available,
the Crystalens® is the only accommodative, or naturally focusing,
lens available today. Standard IOLs are "fixed" within the eye
and correct vision at a single focus (usually distance). Multifocal lenses,
first introduced in 1998, add near vision to the picture but also neglect
the intermediate field of vision. The Crystalens® IOL is the clear
choice for patients seeking to not only preserve their intermediate vision,
but have a continuous range of vision:
- Clinical data show that 100 percent of Crystalens® patients had good
intermediate vision (26" to 32").
- The FDA safety and effectiveness clinical data on the most recent multifocal
IOL lenses shows that at a distance of 70 cm (27.5"), the percentage
of eyes achieving 20/20 or better uncorrected vision and 20/25 or better
distance corrected vision was "significantly worse" than the
- Multifocal lens technology is based upon splitting light rays between distances
to emphasize near and distance vision while providing little or no support
for intermediate vision. Consequently, the vision provided by multifocals
is stepped, requiring patients to overcome a gap in their range of vision.
- The Crystalens® uses the natural focusing muscles to accommodate the
full range of vision. As a result, 100 percent of the light rays are focused
at each distance so patients see clearly near, far and everything in between.
Key-Whitman Eye Center is proud to offer one of the latest, most innovative
lens implants on the market: the TRULIGN™ Toric IOL. If you have
cataracts and astigmatism, this intraocular lens can correct both problems
at the same time, providing you with excellent far and intermediate vision
and some near vision after cataract surgery. TRULIGN™ is the first
accommodating lens to also offer astigmatism correction.
If you have cataracts and/or astigmatism,
call us today to schedule a consultation with Key-Whitman. We can explain all of your
lens implant options to you in greater detail.
Advantages of TRULIGN™
TRULIGN™ is designed to provide the broadest possible range of vision
for astigmatism patients after cataract surgery. Some of the main benefits
of TRULIGN™ include:
- Excellent acuity and brightness when driving at night
- Minimized halos and glare
- Sharp vision for a range of near and far activities (e.g. reading, driving,
crafts, hobbies, socializing, etc)
- Advanced aspheric optics
According to clinical results, 99.2% of all patients reported no significant
visual disturbances with the TRULIGN™ Toric IOL.
Restoring Clear Vision After Cataract Surgery
Everyone's vision, lifestyle, and expectations differ, which makes
it difficult to determine exactly how dependent you may still be on eyewear
after your cataract surgery. However, most TRULIGN™ Toric IOL patients
experience vastly improved near, intermediate, and distance vision once
the lens is in place, resulting in minimal dependence on glasses and contact lenses.
Many astigmatism patients have never experienced good vision before without
the help of glasses or contacts. By helping your eyes focus light correctly,
the TRULIGN™ Toric IOL is capable of making your vision even better
than it was before your cataracts developed. TRULIGN™ is FDA-approved
as of May 2013.
If you have further questions about TRULIGN™ Toric IOL please contact