What you eat may help protect your eyes against various eye conditions,
including macular degeneration, dry eyes, infection and problems with
night vision. Spinach is one nutrient-rich food that is beneficial to your
eye health and overall health. It is also one food that is hard to get on the dinner
table, especially for children.
For more on nutrition and eye health, read our recent blog, Mom Was Right
When Said Eating Carrots is Good for Your Eyes. (Link to Part 1)
How a food is prepared may alter the nutritional benefits of that food.
Spinach is no exception. There are benefits to eating both raw and cooked
spinach. To get the most benefit from spinach, it should be eaten raw,
or sautéed or steamed. Boiling spinach is not a healthy way to
cook the leafy green vegetable as nutrients are leached into the water.
Do you need a delicious and creative way to get your family to eat spinach?
Try one of these favorite recipes:
Tuscan White Bean and Spinach Soup (Source:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 3 -4 cups fat free chicken broth or 3 -4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can white beans (cannellini or other)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pasta shells or 1/2 cup shell pasta
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 3 cups baby spinach, cleaned and trimmed
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large sauce pan, sautee the shallots & garlic in the olive oil.
- Add broth, tomatoes, beans and rosemary to pot. Season with black and red
pepper. Bring to boil.
- Add pasta and cook 12 minutes. If the soup seems too thick for your liking
add a bit more broth.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
Fresh spinach tossed with almond slivers, tangerines and balsamic vinaigrette
makes a simple and delicious spinach salad.
Sautéed Spinach and Garlic (quick and simple)
Brown 4 cloves of garlic in 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil over
medium heat. Add 20 ounces of fresh spinach and toss. Cook over medium
heat until spinach is wilted. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, a dash
of salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to flavor.
Do you have a favorite spinach recipe? Share it with us in the comments
below, or on our