The Visian ICL: Implantable Collamer® Lens - Vision Correction for Myopia
STAAR® Surgical Company began feasibility studies for treating vision
disorders with an implantable contact lens (ICL) in 1993. By 1997, the
company received approval to supply its ICL vision correction device to
European markets. In 2005, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
approved the Visian ICL (Implantable Collamer Lens) for the reduction
and treatment of nearsightedness (myopia).
What Is the Visian ICL?
The Visian ICL is a phakic intraocular lens (IOL) used during refractive
surgery for correcting myopia. Unlike IOLs that are used during cataract
surgery, the Visian ICL does not replace the eye's natural lens. Instead,
the ICL is placed between the iris and the natural lens. Because the phakic
IOL does not replace the lens, but supplements it like a prescription
contact lens, it is sometimes referred to as an implantable contact lens.
The Visian ICL gives another option for treating myopia. Now, patients
who are seeking the latest approved procedures for vision correction or
who want to avoid the permanence of laser vision correction have another
choice for correction of nearsightedness.
What Makes the Visian ICL Different?
Although the Visian ICL is often informally defined as an "implantable
contact lens," in the United States, the "ICL" in the Visian
ICL stands for "implantable Collamer lens." This designation
acknowledges the unique material that comprises the lens.
Unique Lens Composition
Unlike other phakic IOLs the Visian ICL is made from Collamer, a unique,
organic lens material, designed especially for the Visian lens. This
proprietary lens material has greater biocompatibility than acrylic
and silicone lenses 1. The Visian ICL is also foldable, requiring a
smaller incision during the surgical procedure than other available
Safe, Proven Procedure
The safety and effectiveness of the Visian ICL implantation procedure
has been proven with over 55,000 implants worldwide as well as recent
U.S. FDA approval. Unlike corneal refractive surgery, the Visian ICL
does not permanently alter the structure of the eye. Instead, the phakic
IOL is placed in the eye's posterior chamber, where it works with the
natural lens to correct vision. Learn more about the Visian ICL vision
correction procedure and how the ICL takes refractive surgery beyond
the limits of LASIK.
Unlike other phakic IOLs, the Visian ICL is foldable. This feature allows
physicians to implant the lens using a smaller incision. The small incision
procedure is a technique that is familiar to eye surgeons. The Visian
ICL requires a 2.8mm to 3.0mm incision as opposed to the 6.0mm incision
required by other FDA-approved phakic IOLs. This smaller incision is
seen as less invasive, does not require sutures, and is astigmatically
Removable, if Necessary
The Visian ICL is meant to stay in the eye indefinitely. However, if
overcorrection or undercorrection occurs, a complication develops, or
a patient's vision changes, the Visian ICL can be removed or exchanged
by a trained ophthalmic surgeon.
What Is on the Horizon?
A toric model of the ICL may offer another vision correction option. The
Visian TICL™ used for treating myopia (nearsightedness) with astigmatism,
has been submitted to the FDA and is currently under review. Additional
information on the Visian Toric ICL™ is available on the STAAR Surgical
Company corporate website, www.staar.com. (Link to International TICL
section is currently under construction.)
What will vision correction cost me? Laser Vision Correction – LASIK surgery, Lens Replacement, or Cataract surgery procedures have varying prices based on a number of factors. During your consultation and complete eye exam, the Key Whitman Eye Center will offer the best recommendation for vision correction based upon your results. We want to help you make the best, informed decision for eye surgery to reduce your dependency on glasses and contacts.
At Key Whitman, our goal is to provide to you, as a lifelong patient, the very best in care and results. We offer advanced technology, tested and proven to be the safest and most effective. Our caring surgeons and professional staff are recognized throughout the Metroplex for their exceptional skills, credentials and training. You will feel the warmth and concern of health care providers who will make your experience pleasant and rewarding.
Q: So how do some clinics charge as little as $299/eye for LASIK? Typically, you get what you pay for. Comparing LASIK vision correction technology, LASIK eye surgeon experience and LASIK surgery outcomes (patient results), you will understand why Dr Whitman was honored in D-Magazine as 'Best in Dallas' for 11 straight years. Our competitive pricing most often meets or is less than any reputable competitor in this market with all-laser blade-free matching technology and we offer a Lifetime Enhancement Guarantee.
- Vision Correction Costs – a price will be quoted to you following your in-office exam & consultation that is payable in full or in part via credit card (airline miles!?), cash and/or through financing.
- Insurance? Call us to see if your vision plan offers discounts on LASIK (some offer 15% discount off our price). For cataract surgery, our doctors and surgery center participate in most major medical insurance networks.
- Payment Plans – We offer payment plans through Care Credit that can help you pay for your vision correction procedure with options for interest free up to 2 years or in smaller payments in up to 60 months.
- Medicare? Yes – we take assignment with Medicare – Key-Whitman will file your cataract surgery procedure with Medicare.
- Flex Spending Accounts? Have vision correction and submit your claim through your pre-paid Flex Spending account. Most programs will reimburse you immediately (up to your designated commitment level), giving you an entire year to pay (one paycheck at a time) but more time to enjoy your vision! Check with your benefits coordinator with your employer for more details.
- Tax Refund? Yes – save your refund or apply your refund to your laser vision correction! We cannot think of a better way to invest in your future.
in Dallas (pdf)
Contact us for more information about any
of these life-changing services. To schedule an appointment, you may call