Every year, thousands of people are injured by fireworks during Fourth
of July celebrations. According to theU.S. Fire Administration, an estimated
8,600 people were treated in hospital emergency rooms for injuries caused
by fireworks between June 18 and July 18, 2010. Of these injuries, 21
eye injuries. At least a third of fireworks-related eye injuries result in permanent
eye damage and one-fourth result in partial vision loss or blindness.
Many fireworks-related eye injuries are caused by bottle rockets or other
fireworks that emit sparks or flames into the sky. Even the simple sparklers
can be dangerous, as they burn at extremely high temperatures. Children
playing with sparklers can very easily get too close to the sparks or
flames emitted from sparklers.
While the Fourth of July is certainly a holiday to enjoy, it is important
to take certain precautions to ensure your Fourth of July doesn’t
end with a trip to the emergency room. For a safe holiday, follow these
fireworks eye safety tips:
- The safest option for your celebration is to attend a professional fireworks
display, rather than buying your own fireworks.
- If you prefer to purchase your own fireworks, everyone in attendance should
wear safety glasses.
- Do not allow children to handle fireworks. Only adults should set off fireworks.
- Only use fireworks as directed.
- Any viewers should maintain a safe distance from any fireworks display.
For example, set fireworks off in the street with viewers watching from
the front porch or garage.
- Children should only use sparklers under close, adult supervision.
- In the case of a fireworks-related injury, seek medical attention immediately.
Avoid rubbing or rinsing eyes. Shield the eye with a styrofoam cup and
get the injured to the emergency room as soon as possible.
Don’t let your Fourth of July celebration be ruined by injuries caused
by fireworks. Take all necessary precautions to ensure you and your friends
or family are safe.
Are you thinking about getting LASIK eye surgery? This Fourth of July,
we are offering you the chance to celebrate freedom from glasses with
50 percent off LASIK eye surgery (offer available through July 10, 2012).
Check out our Facebook page for more information.
When considering your eye care, be sure to stay up to date with the latest
news and information about our life-changing services at Key-Whitman Eye
Center. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay connected!